mercoledì 7 ottobre 2015

REVIEW: Courage That Counts by Elison Grace

TITLE: Courage That Counts

AUTHOR: Elison Grace

SERIES: Loveland Fire Series #1

PUBLICATION: Published April 1st 2015 (first published March 20th 2015)


MY RATING: 5 STARS *****





Firefighters and best friends, Dylan and Roy, face death on a daily basis. Now they face death personally when Roy is diagnosed with a terminal disease.

Lana, a nurse, becomes the strength Dylan needs when everything is crashing down around him. Will he have the courage to push past the unknown?

When the life he has known goes up in flames will the love of his life rise out of the ashes?

****Warning tissues needed





Book received from NetGalley in exchange of an honest review

I picked and requested this book for a review because I liked the cover and I didn't even read the storyline. And this book really surprised me.
Emotional, touching, especially for someone like me that have faced the struggle and the pain to see the one I loved to be consumed and taken away for an incurable cancer.
I cried, a lot, at every page. I felt a real connection with Michelle and Dylan. It takes courage to stay strong, to be the rock for someone else and survive after the storm.
And in the middle of Hell there is the love story between Lana and Dylan, and it's like a piece of Paradise.
And when Dylan went for his memorial tattoo for his best fried Roy, I cried all day long, because I did the same (in memory of my brother) a few weeks ago.
I felt deeply connected with all the characters. When you're in the middle of the storm you feel desperate, helpless and alone. But if you look around you, you'll always find your “rock”.

...nobody can be strong all of the time. I know you are going to fall apart and so am I. We need to fall apart together that way we have each other to hold up the broken pieces so we can get through this.”

Sometimes I felt so shaken that I needed to close the book for a moment, to work through my feelings.

That's what sucks about death, the living are all a little demaged by the loss and there's nothing anyone can do about it. We all knew it was coming, but it doesn't make it any easier to handle.”

The story and the wrinting is simple and it is this simplicity in telling a story so sad and touching that makes this book so beautiful.

What Roy and Michelle had, even though it ended before they were ready was the most amazing love. It was epic, tragic, and magical. If it was a love story, it would span the ages. I don't know that there is a love out there that could be as amazing as the love between the two of them, but I would like to try to find a love like that.”

I loved how the author highlighted the concept that we need to build goods memories of the people we love because they'll be the goods memories to help us to overcome the sadness and the void.

That tattoo Dylan has is for him to look at and remember your daddy. I know sometimes it can be sad when you miss him, but the way to make yourself happy is to remember all of the good times you shared with him. All of the happy memories are important to hold onto and share.”

The end of the book seemed to me a little bit rushed, but left me with the curiosity to read about Carrie and Cory.
 





3 commenti:

  1. First let me say - I'm really sorry for your lose :(

    Wow, I definitely got to read this one! I love a good sad story but I don't think I can read many of those now. I'm somehow used to the good ending you know? I look forward to that, mostly because I feel as though in life, the happy ending is NOT promised, but in a book one could hope that it would? against all odds.. that's the fantasy, or a part of it.

    As I was driving to work today I remember a very difficult day I had about 5 years ago. It was Friday at noon the time when people are either asleep (it's the weekend here) or I don't know, eating or occupied.. not the best hour to call anyone, and as I was having this HORRIBLE time and couldn't find my place, or what to do, no one was there. I didn't have anyone to talk to. My friends were either not at home or didn't answer. I'm not mad at any of them, it just was a stupid hour that it happened and later on that day or tomorrow when my friends called me back I was so exhausted with the whole experience I just didn't want to talk to anyone. It was too much to re-think about it so soon after I settled down. I was thinking today that this kind of thing always validates how I see life in general - as something that basically even if you have a lot of people who are your friends - you are all alone. It might be a horrible conclusion but I keep reaching it. For me, reading a book with this general feel were there is someone actually there in the exact moment you need them most is SO not taken for granted. Also I would say that with me 99% of the time I don't admit to difficulty, which doesn't help my friends being there for me.. but it's sort of ironic that when I DID need someone and actually WANTED to open up no one was there.
    I'm not sure why I'm so pessimistic today, just a general feel. That would be an excellent day to read this kind of story I guess.

    I'm adding it if it wasn't obvious already ;)

    RispondiElimina
  2. My dear, I always love your comments in my reviews. I love that you share with me something about you. That's what friends are for, even if they're "virtual friends". Thanks <3

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. :) well, thank you as well. I love reading your reviews. They are not just "informative" I really get a feel of the book from your personal experience and feelings about it.

      Elimina