martedì 8 marzo 2016

RELEASE DAY BLOG REVIEW: US by Sarina Bowen and Elle Kennedy

TITLE: US

Author: Sarina Bowen and Elle Kennedy

Series: Him #2

Publication: March 8th 2016 

My Rating: 5 STARS



Can your favorite hockey players finish their first season together undefeated?

Five months in, NHL forward Ryan Wesley is having a record-breaking rookie season. He's living his dream of playing pro hockey and coming home every night to the man he loves–Jamie Canning, his longtime best friend turned boyfriend. There's just one problem: the most important relationship of his life is one he needs to keep hidden, or else face a media storm that will eclipse his success on the ice.

Jamie loves Wes. He really, truly does. But hiding sucks. It's not the life Jamie envisioned for himself, and the strain of keeping their secret is taking its toll. It doesn't help that his new job isn't going as smoothly as he'd hoped, but he knows he can power through it as long as he has Wes. At least apartment 10B is their retreat, where they can always be themselves.

Or can they? When Wes's nosiest teammate moves in upstairs, the threads of their carefully woven lie begin to unravel. With the outside world determined to take its best shot at them, can Wes and Jamie develop major-league relationship skills on the fly?

Warning: contains sexual situations, a vibrating chair, long-distance sexytimes, and proof that hockey players look hot in any shade of green.


 
 ARC received from the author in exchange for an honest review

At the end of the first book, HIM, we’ve left Wes and Jamie moving in together in Toronto. They’re happy and hiding. They’ve both agreed to wait the end of Wes’ rookie season with his hockey team to coming out.
Things are not easy and a turn of events put Wes and Jamie under the spotlight.
This was always going to happen. Maybe it's like oral surgery. You know you need it, you know it's temporary, but it still sucks for a while.”
Will their love be strong enough for their relationship to survive?
They are a perfect match made in heaven, soulmates, but becoming an US is a tortuous journey.
US, two letters that seem and feel the longest word. Only a solid relationship can survive under the storms of life.
I loved how they’ve grown together as a couple. They’re sweet and funny. Their jokes at “how hard is it?” and the pictures… I’d love to have their cell phones in my hands to scroll their photo galleries!
Wes and Jamie are my favorite, that’s for sure, but in this book Blake, Wes’ teammate, has stolen my heart. He’s loud and funny. At the beginning I’d have slapped him so many times, because he was always interrupting my boys in their best moments (and with “best moments” I mean hot sex!). But then he opened his mouth and I don’t know how, he can always say the right and the sweetest thing. It’s impossible not to love him. A big, rough bear with a sweet heart and a kind of innocence. I was happy he became Wes and Jamie’s friend and neighbour, giving them his unconditional support. Blake could be the perfect match for Jess, Jamie’s hyperactive sister. I hope a third book may feature this couple.
Two specific moments has caught my attention. The first was the reaction of Wes’ hockey team to his outing. Some teammates were more accepting than others, and that’s human and like in real life. But I liked that despite what they thought about it they were always loyal and a unit. The picture they took, all wearing the same shirt speaks for itself.
But there we are, two dozen grins stained red from the wine, waving at the camera like idiots. Blake is in the back row, his napkin tied around his head like a bandana. I have a hand on Jamie's shoulder right in the center of the shot. His smile is just as relaxed and genuine as the day I met him. And I look... centered. It's not a word I've ever used to describe myself before. But everything I ever wanted is in that photo—the man of my dreams, and my teammates. I've left my smug smile behind in favor of one that's so shiny I hardly recognize myself. But it's me up there for sure. And it's perfect.”
And the second was when Jamie has to face and fight with an homophobic coach. That made me think at the important role coaches and teachers play on kids and teenagers. They are a reference, a leading figure to trust and follow, an example that often they don’t even found in their families. You can’t call kids “faggots” thinking it’s a joke! Gay or homophobic , the teachers role is to educate and their behavior can affect students’ lives.
In this book the characters are far from being perfect, they were put in real situations the readers can relate to.
The story is narrated fromWes and Jamie's POV alternately.
Once again Sarina Bowen and Elle Kennedy have created a masterpiece. This book is not only greatly written, but it also full of emotion. I've laughed and cried falling in love with those boys all over again.
 


 

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento