domenica 15 novembre 2015

REVIEW: Getting Back by Cindy Rizzo

TITLE: Getting Back

AUTHOR: Cindy Rizzo

PUBLICATION: October 15th 2015 by Ylva Publishing (first published October 10th 2015)

GENRE: F/F contemporary romance


MY RATE: 4 STARS ****




Elizabeth Morrison has ascended the ranks of her industry and now runs one of the most successful publishing companies in the US. But even after three decades, she has never been able to get past the devastating end of her relationship with the beautiful and brilliant Ruth Abramson. As Elizabeth approaches her 30th college reunion, she must face the woman who long ago acceded to the demands of her father, a famous Russian dissident, and married the young man who’d been chosen for her. It doesn’t make it any easier that Ruth, now divorced and living openly as a lesbian, is the class luncheon speaker.

As the two women face one another and attempt to reconcile their past, Elizabeth finds she must wrestle with a number of issues she has avoided confronting. And she must carefully decide whether she is more distrustful of Ruth or of herself. Is she headed for another fall with this woman? Or does she want to get close again, so she can be the one to walk away?

When it comes to reuniting with the love of your life, it’s not always easy to know the difference between getting back together and just getting back.
 

 ARC received by Netgalley and Ylva Publishing in return for an honest review.


A book can involve me on two levels: emotionally and mentally. This book captivated me more mentally then emotionally. It left me with a lot of thoughts, questions and curiosity.
Thoughts about how our society has evolved since the '70. 
Questions about life and relationships.
Curiosity about LGBT community, its history and its organization.
In the last few years the book market has focused the characters on young or new adult, and I loved that this story was about two mature women, more close to my own age. 
Elizabeth and Ruth comes from a very different culture and religion. In the late '70 where lesbians and gays were not totally accepted and they lived hiding, didn't give to Elizabeth and Ruth the chance and the courage to live their relationship. Ruth gave up leaving Elizabeth heartbroken. After 30 years apart they meet again. To reconnect it's not easy as expected, but the love for each other is still intact, dispite their life experiences. 
The story is set in 2008, but there are a lot of flashbacks to the late '70 at the beginning of their relationship, and to Ruth's family story. The back and forth is very captivating, not confusing, but making the story more interesting. I think that the Russian and Jewish history is very well written and researched.
At the beginning the book seemed to me a little be slow, and I didn't really love Elizabeth's angst and insecurity, all her 'should I?'or 'shouldn't I?', and how she wanted to fit in a relationship as it was a math equation. I loved more Ruth character, her history was really interesting that I wished the book would have been more focused on her that on Elizabeth. 
This book was for me an enjoyable journey through our recent social history with the right dose of romance.
I'm new to F/F genre and I think Cindy Rizzo is a really interesting author. I will read some other books from her for sure. 

Cindy Rizzo lives in New York City with her partner, Jennifer, and the requisite two cats issued to every lesbian household (well, most). She has worked in philanthropy for many years and has a long history of involvement in the LGBT community, including membership on the founding board of Gay & Lesbian Advocates and Defenders (GLAD), the organization that first brought marriage equality to the US. In the 1970s and 1980s she wrote for Boston’s Gay Community News and has published essays in the anthologies, Lesbians Raising Sons and Homefronts: Controversies in Non-Traditional Parenting. She was the co-editor of a fiction anthology, All the Ways Home, published in 1995 (New Victoria) in which her story “Herring Cove” was included. She serves on the boards of Congregation Beth Simchat Torah in New York and Funders for LGBT Issues. She is the mother, and her partner is the step-mother, of two grown sons and a wonderful daughter-in-law.



  

1 commento:

  1. Enjoyed your review :) you know, I was thinking as I was reading your review how much people judge when they realize that I'm reading romance. First it's funny because I'm NOT a romantic person myself.. but also because this genre is somewhat seen as, well, junk.. something that is sweet and sugary and has nothing "real" to give. This book (and many others naturally) shows just how wrong these people are. Not just because of the sexual diversity (reading about gay men/women) but also the subjects they deal with. I also really appreciate a book with mature couple. Though most of the ones I read are round my age (mid thirties). It's refreshing and different. I have to think if THIS is the first full FF romance novel I want to start with :) I really want to try this genre. I"m interested how I would feel about it.

    RispondiElimina