sabato 19 settembre 2015

REVIEW: Unsaid by Avery Aster

TITLE: Unsaid

AUTHOR: Avery Aster

SERIES: The Manhattanites #3

PUBLICATION: September 1st 2015

MY RATING: 4 STARS****

This book was provided by NetGalley in exchange of an honest review

 




For fans who loved the snarky wit of Will & Grace and the epic love drama found in Brokeback Mountain comes Avery Aster's new full-length, standalone contemporary erotic M/M romance novel, Unsaid.

Chelsea’s hottie Blake Morgan III has reemerged from a nasty breakup. His marriage was a frigid disaster beyond repair, and he vows to be single—forever. Bruised, but still hot in Prada, he creates his Seven Desires wish list, his sexiest imaginings. Blake soon realizes there’s only one man he may trust to make these uninhibited intentions come to fruition: his best friend Miguel Santana.

Lower East Side multimedia artist extraordinaire Miguel Santana may be known as the cocky Latin stud in the city, but all he’s wanted since college was Blake’s hand in marriage. He was livid when Blake walked down the aisle with the wrong guy. Miguel has his own list titled the Seven Needs, which are quite contrary to Blake’s dirty-boy deeds. They involve serious commitments, which may leave his new-to-the-singles-scene buddy sprinting for the door, destroying any hopes Miguel has for happiness.

Can these two hunks conquer their intimate fears and love one another as only best friends can? Join the star-studded cast in The Manhattanites series and see for yourself!


 
If I have to define this book in one word I would say: EXTREME.
This book is not intended for prudes or uptight readers. If you don't like strong language and kinky sex, if you don't have a sense of humor and you are homophobic this is not your book.
This is a book that push your hard limits and bounderies.
Reading it was like to watch a soap opera with a reality twist. Blake, Miguel, Vive, Thor, Lex and Taddy are friends and they live their lives on top, at high speed. They have all: money, beauty and fame. On the surface they seems shallow, that they care only about their social life. But behind this walls I found that each of them are fighting a bad past or an ugly present, that they're looking to find peace and love.
Blake is healing after his divorce with a man that has left him wounded and empty.
“Somewhere deep down inside, he sort of still belived in true love, again. Maybe.”
Miguel lives an extreme sexual life, well know between the NY gay club, but hiding his sexual orientation from his family. He's been secretly in love with Blake for years and had watched him to marry the wrong man. After Blake's divorce, and with the help of Vive, Lex, Taddy and Thor, he has finally his chance with him.
“We've been friends for ten years, yet I feel as if I'm meeting you for the first time. You don't go deep with anyone about anything.”
Blake and Miguel's Seven Desires lists start as a joke, but the lists are the kick in the ass they need to overcome their fears, their disappointments, their suffering and find each other as lovers and friends.
“A decade had been wasted on missed opportunities to share his real identity with his family, and be with his best friend.”
On the background of Miguel and Blake's story there are other characters that bring their bunch of issues. Lex and Taddy who will discover that their past kept a secret, and Vive struggling with alcohol addiction. But I loved how they support each other with strong determination.
“Even if it's for the best, you can't change someone. They have to do it themselves, because they want to.”

So if in the surface the story seems superficial, light and full of gossip, between the lines I found really deep feelings and contents. Avery Aster can write about homosexuality, addiction, sexual diseases, scandals, friendship and love with the right balance of drama and humor.
I loved that the story was set in New York.
As I'm not a native english speaker, sometimes I had problems to understand some expression, typical of new yorkers or manhattanites.
This is the third book in the series, and I'm not sure if this can be read as a standalone. I haven't read the first two books and I had the feeling I missed some interesting story about the secondary characters.
I'm happy to have found such a witty and fresh voice.








1 commento:

  1. Though I don't have THAT much of a problem with kinky sex, or maybe I should say I just don't like heavy BDSM, I'm fine with "the rest" I don't like the "extreme" vibe, and I don't like the kind of "have it all" yet miserable theme in books. In general I don't like millionaires hehe maybe because though I WANT the fantasy I still want the real. DO I make any sense?

    RispondiElimina