sabato 20 giugno 2015

REVIEW: The Year We Hid Away by Sarina Bowen

TITLE: The Year We Hid Away

AUTHOR: Sarina Bowen

SERIES: The Ivy Years #2

PUBLICATION: June 1st 2014 by Rennie Road Books

 MY RATING:

 

 She’s hiding something big. He’s hiding someone small.

Scarlet Crowley’s life was torn apart the day father was arrested for unspeakable crimes. Now the shock has worn off, but not the horror.

It’s a safe bet that Scarlet is the only first year at Harkness College who had to sneak past TV news trucks parked on her front lawn just to leave town. But college will be Scarlet’s fresh start. Clutching a shiny new student ID — with a newly minted name on it — she leaves it all behind. Even if it means lying to the boy she’s falling for.

Bridger McCaulley is a varsity hockey star known for being a player both on and off the ice. But a sobering family crisis takes that all away. Protecting his sister means a precarious living arrangement and constant deception. The only bright spot in his week is the few stolen hours he spends with Scarlet.

The two form a tentative relationship based on the understanding that some things must always be held back. But when grim developments threaten them both, going it alone just won’t work anymore. And if they can’t learn to trust one another now, the families who let them down will take everything they’ve struggled to keep.
 


A new year is starting at Harkness College and the two main characters, Scarlet and Bridger, are fighting to to find a new life away from those who have disappointed and hurt them. Harkness is their hideout.
Scarlet is hiding from a family and a horrible secret, so terrible that she changes her name and get away from her hometown.
"The goalie's job is to foresee the defensive gaps. But in my own life, I'd failed to do that. When the ugly stories about my father began to leak into our lives, I hadn't seen it coming. At all. Like a high-powered slap shot to the chest, all the ugliness hit me hard, knocked me back, and stole my breath." - Scarlet
Bridger not only hides a tragic family situation, he also hides his little sister to protect her. Scarlet and Bridger become immediately friends and their friendship turns into something deeper. Their agreement is tacit: some things are better left unsaid, and ask for help is something not to be done. The secrets they don't tell prevent them from trusting each other. But when the truth for both of us comes out, it's the showdown.
"The last few months had made me feel old and defeated. But just then, I felt young again. Young and surprisingly happy." - Bridger
Both of them struggle with nails and teeth to protect and hold onto what they love the most. There is no choice left: learn to trust and ask for help will be their salvation.
"But tonight I understood that if you kept your heart in the game, there would always be one more period to play it with. Game on." - Scarlet
If I liked the first book of this series, I liked this one even more. The personal stories of two characters are poignant, yet true. With Scarlet and Bridger the reader can relate easily, and they have touched my heart for their strength, their determination and their weaknesses in which anybody can identify themselves.
The secondary characters, some already met in the first book, are always on the margin of the story, but their presence is crucial to the happy ending.
I find that the author has a great ability to tell stories of troubled lives and conflicted relationships without creating too much dramas and without sugarcoat, making sure however that the message she wants to pass on doesn't lose its meaning.
Sarina Bowen also surprised me with this book and continues to do so, since I have just discovered that the third book in this series is an M/M romance. I can't wait to throw myself in this new book.
"For a year I had found it impossible to live in the present. But every moment I spent with Bridger was bright and fully realized" - Scarlet

"You're the best I eve had, Scarlet. Because I love you. When other people touched me, it felt good. But when you touch me, it feels good and it also means something. And that's potent." - Bridger

1 commento:

  1. I LOVED this book, also loved all the other ones in the series and her "Gravity" series as well (It's Contemporary Romance not New Adult). For me Sarina is a auto-pre-order. She is so amazing, she brings quite difficult subjects but not in a depressing way, in a way its possible to deal, the reader as well as the characters :) I think the first one in this series was the best, mainly because of it dealing with a strong subject as disability (to be revisited in her "Gravity" series, mostly in the second installment but a bit in the third because the MC is the best friend of the one in the 2nd installment)

    RispondiElimina