sabato 6 giugno 2015

REVIEW - The Vixen and The Vet by Katy Regnery

TITLE: The Vixen and The Vet
AUTHOR: Katy Regnery
SERIES: A Modern Fairytale
PUBLISHER: Katharine Gilliam Regnery
PUB DATE: June 4th 2014
MY RATING: ***** 5 stars

DESCRIPTION:

In this modern-retelling of "Beauty and the Beast," Savannah Carmichael, betrayed by an unreliable source, returns to her hometown of Danvers, Virginia with her once-promising journalism career in ruins. Given the opportunity to get back in the game by writing a patriotic human interest piece, Savannah turns her attention to the town hermit, Asher Lee, a wounded veteran who returned to Danvers eight years ago, and hasn’t been seen since.

After an IED explosion in Afghanistan took Asher’s hand and disfigured half of his face, he's lived a quiet life on the outskirts of Danvers where the locals respect his privacy…that is, until Savannah Carmichael comes calling in a borrowed sundress with a plate of homemade brownies. When Asher agrees to be interviewed by Savannah, he starts feeling things for the beautiful reporter that he hasn’t felt in years.

Misfits in small-town Danvers, Savannah and Asher create a bond right away, touching each other’s hearts in ways neither thought possible. When a terrible mistake threatens to drive them apart, they’ll have to decide if the love they found in one another’s arms is strong enough to fight for their hard-won happily ever after.
MY REVIEW

A modern fairy tale of Beauty and the Best.
But this book is more than this.
It's the story of Asher, a Vet returned home from Afganistan with bad injuries. Rejected by bis own town, he sees himeself like a beast, not a human being anymore. He decides to live hidden and in the shadow of his big house.
It's the story of Savannah, a talented woman and journalist, betrayed by her boyfriend and her ambition.
They return home to lick their wounds, heal and be whole again. Their love will be the way to step out of the shadows and live again in full light.
It's the story of a second chance at life. 
"The thing about surviving something truly tragic is that it changes your expectations forever."
I liked Asher because, no matter what, he has decided, maybe not to live, but to survive. And I liked Savannah that since the moment she made eye contact with Asher, she didn't see him as a disfigured man, but only a man, as if she was able to look directly deep into his soul. Reading the book I kept asking myself if I would have been brave and not judgmental as Savannah was. What would have been my reaction if it was me to meet a man like Asher? Would I been able to look beyond appaerances, to not judge a book by its cover? Guess not.

"The problem with hope was that you were required to acknowledge the possibility of not getting what you desperately hoped for."
The story flows smoothly and the romance scenes are sexy. I liked that the chapters had a title reminding "the twelve Most important milestones in any relationship". Savannah didn't belive her sister Scarlat on those twelve milestones until the end of the story where Savannah and Asher are finally ready for their forever.
"Kwowing you, loving you, being loved by you it 's been like being reborn. An angel giving me a second chance to live."
Thanks to all the Vet and all the survivor in general, real heroes. And thanks to the genorisity of Katy Regnery for the donation of part of her profits to Operation Mend.
********
The Vixen and the Vet is part of the a modern fairytale collection, which will include five standalone novels:

"The Vixen and the Vet" (Beauty & the Beast) - available now
"Never Let You Go" (Hansel & Gretel) - available June 2015
"Ginger's Heart" (Little Red Riding Hood) - available 2016
"Don't Speak" (The Little Mermaid) - available TBD

5 commenti:

  1. This sounds just the book for me! I was reminded of a few things while reading your review. First Sarine Bowen's novel in the Gravity series, the second one I think, the one with the doctor. Yeah, yeah, it was the second one! "Falling from the Sky" I was amazed by the fact the heroine was looking at the hero and seeing a sexy man and not a guy in a wheel chair. Also I was reminded of "Making Faces" by Amy Harmon. While I wasn't impressed by her other novels, this one had the theme of Beauty and the beast but it was a lot more than that. Check it out!
    I have a feeling there is another one I want to mention. I remember everything besides the name of the book and author hehe going to check.....
    YES! Found it! "Only Love" By Garrett Leigh. I love everything by Garrett, she is an AMAZING writer. This isn't a Beauty and the Beast story but it's a story about a guy hiding from the world. I'll stop now.. I'm starting to ramble.. hehe

    RispondiElimina
  2. Thanks. I'll check out the books you mentioned. I fear my wish list is going to be too long for a lifetime!!!

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. It's ridiculous really.. I have enough books for 2016 AND 2017..
      I was just complaining to my brother about all those people obsessed with A Song of Ice & Fire (aka A Game of Thrones), why aren't they moving on to other series and keep investing their time in this complicated ones when there are so many great ones out there waiting to be read? I don't understand this kind of author obsessing, not to mention Martin doesn't sound such a sweet guy as the authors we are used to ;)

      Elimina
  3. I'm not in complicated reading. Reading has to be a joy, relaxing, exciting, not a work to remember plot and names. Series like A Game of Thrones are not for me!

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. I've read it but honestly? what was I thinking :P a total waste of time though I don't usually consider reading to be a waste.

      Elimina