mercoledì 10 giugno 2015

REVIEW - Making A Comeback by Kristina Mathews

TITLE: Making A Comeback
AUTHOR: Kristina Mathews
SERIES: More than a Game #3
EXPECTED PUBLICATION: July 7th 2015 by Lyrical Press

MY RATING: **** 4 stars

Review Copy of the book provided by NetGalley


SUMMARY:

With a divorce in the works, Annabelle Jones heads out to Southern California, the land of sun and starting over. She wants to prove to herself and her young daughters that she still has what it takes to turn heads as a swimsuit model—that she doesn’t need a man to take care of her. Until an accident forces her to rely on the hunky, yet mysterious man next door…

Nathan Cooper is trying to revive his own career. Once a top left-handed relief pitcher, he tried to get over a hidden injury with the aid of banned substances. Not only was he caught and suspended, he was traded and missed out on winning the championship. Now he’s a free agent without a contract, and that means life is ready to play ball…



MY REVIEW:

This is the first book I read from this author and I loved it very much, I liked the style and the story.
Annabelle Jones divorced from a husband that sees her more than a trophy than a woman, she starts a new life in a new city with her twin daughters, Sophie and Olivia. She wants a comeback in her job as a swimsuit model, but a car accident swipes away her dream, her future and what she thinks is most important: her beauty. 
"But she'd learned a long time ago that having a beautiful body didn't guarantee happiness"
Nathan Cooper is her neighbour and a baseball player, and for Annabelle's daughters he's Prince Charming. He's also the only  one who can help Annabelle, but he doesn't want to get emotionally involved. She's his wet dream, the Sport Illustrator swimsuite model he dreamt about for years. Nathan is hiding a secret that had ruined his life and sport career. Taking steroids was a bad choice, something he'd be ashamed of and regret forever. 
"I've been in a situation where I thought if I just stayed strong and didn't admit weakness, I could overcome anything." - Nathan 
The story has a deeper meaning. It's not only about a lovestory, a fairytale, but it's about how actions and choices effect someone's life, sometimes in a very bad way. It's about finding the strength to making a comeback, trust the people we love and trust in ourselves. Mistakes could not be forgotten, but learning from them is the best redemption. 
"We all make mistakes." She fell onto the mattress. "But I think our biggest regrets are for the things we don't do." - Annabelle
I loved Annabelle for the love she has for her daughters, she's smart, sexy, strong, with a little bit of insecurity that makes her sweet and beautiful.
Nathan is stubborn, but he's a loving, caring, honest, loyal Prince Charming. He has learned form his mistake.
And I completely fall in love with Sophie and Olivia. They're twin-sisters and yet so different. They're funny and very smart. I loved their innocence and the way they see love, like a fairytale where their mother is the Princess and Nathan is Prince Charming.
This book is heart warming with real life issues in it. Well written, this author has a good style and the story flows very easily.
I knew this is the third book in the series and I didn't read the summary also of the previous books because I didn't want my judgement to be influenced. I don't know what happened in the first two books, but in this one I hadn't the feeling that something was missing. No doubt I will read also the first two books.


ABOUT THE AUTHOR:



Kristina Mathews doesn't remember a time when she didn't have a book in her hand. Or in her head. But it wasn't until she turned forty that she confessed the reason the laundry never made it out of the dryer was because she was busy writing.
While she resigned from teaching with the arrival of her second son, she's remained an educator in some form. As a volunteer, parent club member or para educator, she finds the most satisfaction working with emergent and developing readers, helping foster confidence and a lifelong love of books.
Kristina lives in Northern California with her husband of more than twenty years, two sons and a black lab. A veteran road tripper, amateur renovator and sports fanatic. She hopes to one day travel all 3,073 miles of Highway 50 from Sacramento, CA to Ocean City, MD, replace her carpet with hardwood floors and serve as a “Ball Dudette” for the San Francisco Giants.

2 commenti:

  1. This sounds really good! right my alley! Yet I'm just incapable of starting a series in the middle, I'll have to check the first ones first, but if you're doing the honors, I'll wait for your review :)

    RispondiElimina
  2. Me too, I'm incapable to start a series in the middle. But with this book I haven't had the feeling to miss something. I'm going to read the first two for sure!!

    RispondiElimina