sabato 13 giugno 2015

NEW RELEASE: The Song Of David by Amy Harmon

TITLE: The Song Of David

AUTHOR: Amy Harmon

PUBLICATION: June 13th 2015

This is David 'Tag' Taggert's book, a supporting character introduced in The Law of Moses. This is a stand-alone story, but it is highly recommended that The Law of Moses be read first to avoid spoilers.


She said I was like a song. Her favorite song. A song isn’t something you can see. It’s something you feel, something you move to, something that disappears after the last note is played.

I won my first fight when I was eleven years old, and I’ve been throwing punches ever since. Fighting is the purest, truest, most elemental thing there is. Some people describe heaven as a sea of unending white. Where choirs sing and loved ones await. But for me, heaven was something else. It sounded like the bell at the beginning of a round, it tasted like adrenaline, it burned like sweat in my eyes and fire in my belly. It looked like the blur of screaming crowds and an opponent who wanted my blood.

For me, heaven was the octagon.

Until I met Millie, and heaven became something different. I became something different. I knew I loved her when I watched her stand perfectly still in the middle of a crowded room, people swarming, buzzing, slipping around her, her straight dancer’s posture unyielding, her chin high, her hands loose at her sides. No one seemed to see her at all, except for the few who squeezed past her, tossing exasperated looks at her unsmiling face. When they realized she wasn’t normal, they hurried away. Why was it that no one saw her, yet she was the first thing I saw?

If heaven was the octagon, then she was my angel at the center of it all, the girl with the power to take me down and lift me up again. The girl I wanted to fight for, the girl I wanted to claim. The girl who taught me that sometimes the biggest heroes go unsung and the most important battles are the ones we don’t think we can win.

 

3 commenti:

  1. I haven't actually read what this one is about, I got to the point where you say it's better to read The Law of Moses. Funny enough I read all her other novels besides that one, I'm not even sure why.. I started with Making Faces. It's an OMG amazing book, I don't have words! then like with other authors I become obsessed with reading everything they published so I tried them all (besides Moses.. which is scheduled for November I think..) and I gotta say I was NOT impressed. A Different Blue and Infinity + One was nice reads, but Running Barefoot was a DNF.. I really hope these two will be better.. It's funny how it's a hit and miss with some authors. I've read "Archer's Voice" because it was 2014 favorite on GR. Was BEAUTIFUL yet all her other novels were practically the same, same themes, different settings. Yet this way I also found authors I absolutely love like Garrett Leigh and S.A. Reid (aka T. Baggings). Read all their novels and was floored with each one. Hey! Joanna Chambers is the same! also a favorite. I'm rambling again, aren't I? well, we'll see what I think of Moses and that would be the test if I'll be reading more by Amy in the future or not..

    RispondiElimina
  2. Oh my dear, you’re not rambling! I love your passion for books. Every readers have their favorite genre, authors, series. But I think try new authors is really challenging. I love your suggestions: I'm going to make a list!!! And I'm sure that we like a book more than another just because we find it in our way at the right time, and our heart and mind is open to let the book in.

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. you're right, sometimes it's more the state of mind we are in. But I feel as though if the book is good I'll enjoy it even if half as much as I would if I WAS in the mood. Also when it's a favorite author I'm somehow more forgiving. Like what happened to me with "Two of Hearts" that I didn't really like. If it was any other author I'd probably DNF it.
      I love discovering new authors! This year's "challenge" was reading as much of Aleksandr Voinov and Cara McKenna, actually I discovered them a while back but this year I was all about getting MORE. This year as I wrote I found S.A. Reid, Joanna Chambers, Leigh Garrett and lets see who more - Mia Sheridan (the one who wrote "Archer's Voice") Tere Michaels, Cecilia Ryan and well, I've added quite a lot of Amy Lane but I won't finish all of her books the next year with the amount she published!

      Elimina